Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What IS this thing? Settle the argument!

Posted by rubystheory (My Page) on
Wed, May 5, 10 at 16:02

This monstrous... thing has appeared in our garden the last two springs. Last year I ripped it out post haste, only to be told by my husband that it was "one of the bulbs (he) bought from the plant sale". This year I've left it but it has no socially redeeming value so far as I can tell. Husband is still convinced it's going to get pretty; I'm convinced it's either some sort of burdock or skunk weed, or possibly a zombie plant which is going to rise on the night of a full moon and devour our house cats.
We inherited this lovely perennial garden when we bought the house and have been trying our feeble-garden-skilled best to keep it up. I'd like an excuse to rip this thing out asap. What the heck is it?

Image link: What IS this thing? Settle the argument! (44 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What IS this thing? Settle the argument!

Looks like rhubarb.

o

Though it looks like rhubarb, it isn't. I forget the name of it, but see it occasionally growing in fencerows and waste areas that get some moisture. Always seen it looking pretty much the way yours does--it doesn't get any better. But, it does have nice large leaves and can make an interesting contrast in the garden.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sat, May 8, 10 at 23:33

perhaps dock?

o

This is Arctium, burdock.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google image results

o

I agree that it is probably rhubarb. The red stemmed rhubarb did not become popular until the 1930's and 40's. Have your husband go to one of the plant club meetings taking a leaf and ask. Who knows perhaps you could go along and learn about all kinds of different plants. Most gardeners are looking for a legal plant that will just fill a hole in the garden until they find the right plant for that space. Do you have the "Right Plant" in mind to take over the space? Could help your husband to remove it unless the two of you find how valuable and expensive the plant is.

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Thu, May 13, 10 at 20:58

It is Arctium(Burdock.)
Remy

o

This is burdock from my garden last year. I posted this picture to ask
what it was. Most said burdock , and they were right. The leaves on
yours look different.
Photobucket

o

Cute dog! He's so little he could disappear under one of those leaves and you would never find him!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here