Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed ID for a beginner please?

Posted by futique CO (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 07 at 16:16

Hello everyone,

I am a complete novice, so please forgive me if I seem naive. I've tried researching these unknown plants on my own, but I can't seem to find a match anywhere.

Anyway, the pictures below are of some plants that are popping up all over the place. I actually don't mind how these look, but if they are weeds, I want to get rid of them sooner, rather than later. Whatever they are, they really seem to be happy with the soil/light conditions, because they are everywhere.

They pull out easily, FWIW. Each one is a separate plant as well.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed ID for a beginner please?

Looks like white snakeroot seedlings to me, a variety of eupatorium.

o

Howdy,

This looks like Blackberry to me. A very pervasive, fast growing shrub with stickers. I'm about 99% sure of that.

Try and pull them up with as many of the roots as possible. Then get some round up or some kind of weed killer to kill the remaining roots.

Also, a heavy brush killer sprayed on the leaves will do the trick. Just be careful not to spray any other type of surrounding (desirable) plants.

ia

Here is a link that might be useful: Blackberry (disambiguation)

o

Thanks for the replies. Whatever it is, I've pulled it up everywhere, except for a small isolated section where I plan to let it grow a bit, and see what happens.

It's not altogether unpleasing in appearance.

I have noticed that as it ages, the leaves are getting longer, and more arrow like in appearance. I'l try to take an update pic and post.

Thanks again!

o

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

For some reason, I don't think it's Blackberry. The leaves look different from the pictures I've been able to find.

This stuff is popping up everywhere... in the middle of some juniper, in the middle of established groundcover... and it definitely seems to regenerate from any root pieces I leave behind.

A characteristic I forgot to mention before- sometimes when pulling on the stem, the outer stem covering will pull off, leaving behind a thin green "thread" from the inside.

Tenacious little buggers. Grrrrrr.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here