Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Friend or foe?

Posted by rubybaby43 z4 MN/n. metro (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 07 at 16:33

Hi! I just noticed this growing in with my astilbe.

I didn't notice it last year nor did I notice it a few weeks ago when I started cleaning up the gardens. It is woody...it looks familiar - like something else I had growing in my garden that I thought was something I transplanted from my grandmother's garden. Something that should have been flowering but all it did was get huge and "grow" little green worms on it. :\

I'd love some ID on this plant before I move it or remove it.

Thanks!
Kristy :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Friend or foe?

Oh....that was a good guess! I had to go look at the suckers growing under my lilacs. It's not it.

Several years ago my grandma died and I dug out what I believed to be some Phlox growing in her garden. They grew just like Phlox but never bloomed. Then later they got really woody. Then the little green worms were all over the plant. Anywhoo....this plant reminds me of the one I thought was Phlox. It's not the same plant...not even growing near the same spot. But I just wanted to throw that out there in case it helped ID this thing. I hate to leave it grow if it's going to choke my plants...but I also don't want to get rid of it in case it winds up being a diamond in the ruff.

o
Sorry about that.....

Whoops....didn't mean to reply to my own post and look like I'm talking to someone! @@ I was replying to a copy of it on another board and somehow got linked back to the original post.

Sorry!!

o

That's okay. We all talk to ourselves form time to time. Heehee.

o

Looks like it could be one of the shrub type lonicera. Honeysuckle shrub.

o

Honeysuckle, huh? I'll have to look into it. They do grow wild in our area and they are gorgeous! I'll be really happy if that is what this is.

Thanks for the input!

o

• Posted by mcali Zone 4 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 10, 07 at 12:03

maybe milkweed?

o

maybe milkweed

No....that would be nice though for those butterflies!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here