Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I fight Green Kyllinga weed?

Posted by Carmiewest South Florida (My Page) on
Tue, May 24, 05 at 17:15

Hi,
I am in South Florida and I noticed that my St. Augustine grass in getting invaded by green kyllinga. It is is still contained in some spots but it keeps appearing in different parts. I found some websites where it mentions that the best way to fight it is to use lots of applications of chemicals. I was hoping to stop using chemicals and I am so sad thinking that I might have to do it.
I was already fighting some other 3 or 4 types of weeds. The neighbor's lawn from across the street is full of dollarweed so I am afraid it is just a matter of time before mine gets invaded as well.

Should I fight it? Can I be successful? Should I hire a professional to do it? When I just noticed the green kyllinga in the back of my house, I was thinking I was going to put a plastic cover to kill the grass and the weed and then put new sod but I see that I have it in the front and sides of the house as well and I cannot do it.

Help!!
Carmen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I fight Green Kyllinga weed?

Carmen,

I too am fighting a couple types of weedy sedges in my yard. I use a "weed wacker" to first scuff-up and damage the leaves, (they're usually too glossy for herbicides to adhere). I then brush on Round-up. If your careful there will be minimal damage to surrounding turf.

I know you were concerned about using chemicals, but Round-up is relatively benign; just follow instructions on the bottle. I would resist using professionals as they tend to use a "scorched-earth" approach; applying chemicals to the entire landscape...

I've included a link to a site concerned with controlling this weed. I apologize if it's one of the internet sources that you've already viewed.

Good luck,

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Fighting Kyllinga

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here