Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
weed or last year's treasure?

Posted by lennon2 (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 17:57

Last year we didn't recognize the shasta daisies and yanked them. In our perennial bed, two of these came up this year. Both are wilting in the afternoon sun of a warm spring day in southern New England. I don't remember... weed or not?

link to photo of unsub

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: weed or last year's treasure?

This one is a weed. Yank it.

o

Thanks, Jean001a. Will do.

o

lennon2 - I would wait to see the flowers. I am not as certain as Jean001a that it is a weed. Time will soon tell, then you can pull it if it's not something you want.

o

It reminds me of Stokesia although it's been a while since I had one of those.

o

It's one of the plantains. A weed.

See this http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7478.html

Here is a link that might be useful: weedy plantains at UCD

o

A lot of plants look like that until they start to make flowers. OP is in New England, so the info from a college in CA might not be pertinent. The USDA plants database has about 50 different Plantagos, and the link says there are about 250 worldwide. Some introduced, some native, some are butterfly host plants. A lot of undesirable weeds have pretty cool flowers and as long as you remove them before they drop seeds, there is often no reason to remove them until you enjoy their flowers. Plantain wouldn't be one of those, but I'm not sure that's what it is. Especially if it's wilting in a flower bed. No self-respecting weed does that.

o

Plantago lanceolata. A weed even if it grows on barren ground. A weed even if they find it growing at the bottom of a dark crater on the moon's south pole.

o

Plantago lanceolata distribution -- see the map
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=PLLA

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Plants

o

It could be Plantago lanceolata but I'm still not convinced. It appears to be hairy which P lanceolata, at least the variety I see, is not, although I believe it is variable. What is the great hurry? Couldn't it be watched a little longer just to see what the flowers are like? The OP has already stated they yanked gardenworthy plants last year.

More urgent to my mind would be the forest of hairy bittercress all around the mystery plant which is already shooting seeds in every direction. And what appears to be a sow thistle to the right which could well be letting off seeds pretty soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here