Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anything wrong with just leaving creeping charlie?

Posted by ThePaintedLady none (My Page) on
Sat, May 4, 13 at 18:07

Hey,

I live in a fairly crunchy part of the world. Lots of my neighbors have chickens, many of us don't use herbicides because we don't like them.

I have a fair amount of creeping charlie and honestly I don't mind it. I think it's pretty, it has a nice smell, and it doesn't require any work on my part.

I have lots of flower beds and I work hard to keep it (and morning glory and some other nameless vine) out off there. But under my oak leaf hydrangea I'm inclined to let it live. Saving me mulching and weeding.

Is anything wrong with this? Will my hydrangea die because of it?

I also have sedge and verticillium problems. I feel like creeping charlie is low on my list of concerns.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anything wrong with just leaving creeping charlie?

Hydrangea won't die, but any weeds use up moisture that might be needed by your desired plant. If you don't mulch, some kind of weed will try to grow, and there are worse weeds than Creeping Charlie.

o

Creeping Charlie, "Glechoma hederacea" was once sold as a ground cover so it may not be as bad as many think. If you don't mind a polyculture lawn instead of a monoculture lawn, this is one of many "weeds" you can ignore. You should be able to fairly easily keep it under control in any planitng bed as long as you pull the plants out before they get too large since they can develop a very large root.

o

I've seen many Hydrangeas with various ground covers. I think it's pretty and wouldn't bother it unless in beds, just like you're doing. Many lawns around this area turn purple in the spring, Glechoma, Lamium, Verbena. Hardly any monoculture lawns - they're so much prettier than just plain grass. Any low, soft creepers are welcome where we mow. We don't use 'cides either, made by those who have decided so many pretty flowers are weeds and that we are failures for not using their products to eradicate them. I don't buy it, figuratively or literally. If something grows that I don't want, I dig, pull, or smother it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here