Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is this long white root

Posted by beachlover2 (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 08 at 19:06

While tilling up the raised garden, we found lots of things growing underground. They have a long white root made up of individual balls. The roots are shaped somewhat like a small carrot but white and all the balls are connected. What could this be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is this long white root

Can you post a photo? It really would help us to help you.

o

Sounds like Florida Betony. A native wild flower in Florida but has become a problem weed in many parts of the US. Also known as Rattle Snake Weed due to the tubers look like the rattler of the Rattle Snake. I used to call it a mint because of the smell. It is an edible plant (always have a positive ID before eating any plants). I haven't tried it myself but have heard people like to slice up the tubers for salad. I will attempt to load an image of it.

Florida Betony

o

That's it! Thank you for posting. How in the world did these things get into the raised bed? I bet there were 75 of these things. I sure hope they do not come back.

o

It'll be back, I'd bet money on it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here