Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing Pokeweed?

Posted by TriniStar 6B (My Page) on
Thu, May 12, 11 at 19:14

I just found out I have Pokeweed growing in my front lawn. I tried looking up removal, but I mostly read that people TRY to remove it, but it keeps sprouting everywhere! It's invasive and homeowners can't get rid of it.

I don't want this plant in my front yard and I don't want it popping up anywhere else. Does anyone else know how to remove it so it won't grow back?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing Pokeweed?

The problem is that it has fleshy roots. So you can begin by digging as much as possible. Then every time you see sprout(s), either repeat or simply remove top growth. The goal is to exhaust the roots.

Be persistent & you can win. Give up for a while, and the pokeweed wins.

o

Ugh... I wanted to plant Azaleas right where they are sprouted. I hope they don't interfere with my Azaleas or Arborvitae Trees, lol

o

It takes a while for the big root to form. If they are new sprouts from seed, they should come out easily. As far as weeds go, pokeweed is pretty easy to defeat, especially seedlings. If you do find the big root, try pouring boiling water on it if you can't dig it all up.

o

Birds love the berries that Pokeweed produces so the seeds that will grow into the plant are dropped everywhere and I have had them growing up in the middle of my Rhododenrons and Azaleas. Learn to recognize the distinctive seedling leaf and yank them out early and they will not have that enormous root that makes later removal difficult.

o

I like the boiling water idea! I will research the seedling leaf so it will be easier for me to yank out and keep them away from my plants.

Thank you very much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here