Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood Sorrel

Posted by mtgs 6 (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 12 at 20:53

Does anyone have the weed wood sorrel they'd be willing to share for a SASE?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood Sorrel

There are many weeds called sorrel. You may want to seek plants by their botanical names, or at least link to a pic of what you want for assured accuracy. Curious about your desire to grow this, as I'm sure following readers will be... I'll be the first to ask - why?

o

There are a large number of plants known as "Sorrel" and many known as "wood Sorrel". Many people consider Yellow Wood Sorrel an noxious "weed" and do everything possible to eliminate it. Some sorrels, French for example, are grown as food crops while others, Sheep sorrels, are eradicted as noxious weeds.
So which Wood Sorrel are you seeking?

o

The wood sorrel I'm looking for is oxalis stricta.

o

Yellow Wood Sorrel, which grows so prolifically around here I have never given a thought to saving seeds. The birds do a good job of delivering seed that I don't need to think about saving any. Most everyone I know considers this a "weed" and yanks them out as soon as they are seen, most often before they produce seed.
There may be some of the Wild Flower seed sellers that have seeds for this.

o

Yes, it is an unpopular but tasty plant. As a boy, we drove this plant extinct on our country land because we six kids loved the sour taste.

There was another plant we called sorrel, but a very different plant, with a tall stalk, which we also loved. Very sour. Either red sorrel or sheep sorrel. Good times. Used to trespass to get more.

o

mtgs, theoretically it should be easy to collect seeds at the right time from neighborhood, parks, country roads, that kind of thing. But I know from experience that when one goes seed-hunting for some wild thing, the seeds are already gone or it's usually the one plant you can't find although you noted its' abundance in the area before. But, of course, being a weed, it's sneaky and has disguised/camouflaged itself, right? Not seen any around this area, sorry I can't help. Good luck!

Interesting how our culture has let chemical/grass/seed/lawn companies, farmers, golf courses, and even some gardening groups tell us some native food plants are weeds, and believed it. There are some good books on this subject. Anyone interested is welcome to email me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here