Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weird Garlicky smelling weed

Posted by lovetogarden z4 NY (My Page) on
Sun, May 29, 11 at 21:09

I've been gardening for a few decades now and never saw a weed like this before. It showed up about 5 years ago and despite ripping it out where ever I saw it, it's now in every area of the garden. It grows about 2-3' and blooms with little white flowers in clusters, sort of like wild phlox. It has a very strong garlic odor when pulled. Can anyone tell me what this is and how I can get rid of it? Thanks. BTW - Anyone know if there an online encyclopedia of weeds with pics.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weird Garlicky smelling weed

Looks like garlic mustard. Nasty, nasty weed that's invading areas across the country.

Remove all before they set seed. Then, during successive years, do the same for seedlings.

o

Absolutely, Alliaria petiolata.

o

Each plant makes HUNDREDS of seeds, so absolutely get well rid of them before they get that far.

I've had the best luck pulling roots out when it's early in the year and the ground is wet, this year has been a godsend as far as pulling this stuff goes! The stems can break off at the base and leave the root intact if you're not careful pulling, but with the right conditions, they do come up fairly easily. There's just so MANY of them!

I've taken to offering the kids a coin bounty per plant they pull with roots intact. ;D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here