Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grass in tree bed + weeding a straight line?

Posted by rschmitty MI (My Page) on
Sun, May 17, 09 at 21:27

So, new to gardening.. I've got a row of arborvitae which the normal lawn grass and crab grass has invaded the bed.

The previous owner has a metal barrier (which is now overgrown by the grass) that surrounds the tree bed. I'm trying to re-establish this line (shown in red)

My other concern is the root system of the trees. I started weeding with a small tool and felt like I was just breaking tree roots. I've searched this weed forum and for the most part people say the weed killer will break down in the soil and not harm the tree, but my concern is how shallow these roots are. Is this dept of roots normal? Still all clear to use a spray to kill?

Question 2: Any tips of weeding in a straight line so I keep my lawn and kill only the grass in the bed

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

QuickPost Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others!

Here is a link that might be useful: grass in tree bed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grass in tree bed + weeding a straight line?

I have yet to see any kind of barrier that works really well to keep grass out of a planting bed because the grass will often simply grow over that barrier if it is not, periodically, raised to prevent that. Work on cleaning the edging around that bed and cover the grass, crabgrass included, with newspaper and cover the newspaper with a good mulch (to hide the paper and help hold it in place) and don't worry about any poison to control that grass.

o

You need to remove the metal edging. Kimmsr is correct, there is no effective barrier. Any form or artificial edging will just give you a false sense of security.

you then need to cut in a deep v shaped trench along the line in your photo. Hand weed out the grass in the tree bed.

Religiously maintain your cut edge to the lawn. Trim it once a week without fail, preferably with sharp long handled lawn edging shears.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bahco Lawn Edge Shears

o

A trench canbe an effective barrier to grass growing into a flower bed, if your soil allows that barrier to exist. Sand does not and will simply flow back into the trench about as fast as you cut it. In clay soils it can work and can be very effective, but like mulches some people do not like the look.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here