Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tall, purple, and new!!! Please help identify

Posted by wetjackson 5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 24, 12 at 21:35

I spotted these plants near the edge of our creek and they are huge, probably at least 6-8 ft tall. My guess was either Joe Pye Weed or the nasty Giant Hogweed, but they don't seem to match either one totally. I am hoping for the first one or some other non-poisonous weed, but identifying it is the start.

The stalk is 2-3 inches in diameter and the leaves look like they are unrolling from the stalk. There are unopened leaves that are still in a ball shape, and then they start to unroll.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

The tops are opening up into pod-like flower/things

Here are the leaves if that helps.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tall, purple, and new!!! Please help identify

That's a very distinct looking plant! Definitely not joe pye. If you would like to do so, there is a name that plant forum where you can also ask.

o

• Posted by kimpa z6b PA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 25, 12 at 17:29

maybe Angelica? What a beauty!

o

Hemlock, as in Socrate's demise. The stalks will be mostly hollow, and at the base of the stalks they will be kind of chambered and have some brown "sap" in the chambers, which is the concentrated poison as I understand it. I don't think any of the plant would really be safe to eat, though.

o

I think the plant is Giant Hogweed. The stems don't look like Hemlock to me but like Hogweed. So my vote is for Hogweed!
Joann

o

I still think it is angelica. Here is a comparison site:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/72766.html

o

I still think it is angelica. Here is a comparison site:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/72766.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here