Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lasherm1_gw

Winning the Battle Against Violets

lasherm1
14 years ago

I wanted to report some success IÂve had with ridding my lawn of violets. This invasive weed has taken a strong hold in my otherwise lush lawn. For those of you who only prefer an organic approach, do not read further.

I purchased Spectracide Grass & Weed Killer (available at the big box stores) and poured an ounce or two into a plastic cup. I then took a Q-tip swab and dunked 1 end into the Spectracide and carefully dabbed the weed killer onto the leaves of the violets. I used the Spectracide sparingly, only brushing a little on each leaf. The Q-tip allows you to target the Spectracide on the violet while sparing the grass. I used plastic gloves while doing this.

After 1 day, the violets began to have a wrinkled appearance.

After 2 days, the violets turned white. At this point it was very easy to see any violets that I missed.

After 3 days, the violets began to shrivel up.

After 6 days, no more violets!

IÂm optimistic that the weed killer is getting to the roots and the violets will not come back next year. Time will tell.

Overall, this didnÂt take that much time  maybe 40 minutes to cover 5,000 sq ft. Also since I used the Spectracide sparingly, I only needed a few ounces of the weed killer.

I hope this helpsÂand good luck with your violets. You can win the fight.

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions