Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrussell2

florida betony

jrussell2
18 years ago

I HAVE BEEN FIGHTING WITH FLORIDA BETONY (RATTLE SNAKE WEED)FOR SEVERAL YEARS NOW, DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGESTIONS OF EXTERMINATING THIS WEED, ITS A PERINIAL AND HAS TUBERS THAT BREAK OFF AND KEEP SPREADING, I EVEN LAID DOWN BLACK PLASTIC AND MULCHED BUT IT GROWS SEVERAL FEET AND COMES UP AROUND THE ENDS. ANY ADVICE? SOME PEOPLE CALL THIS WEED WILD ARTICHOKE ALSO. THANKS, RUSS

Comments (4)

• rivers1202
    18 years ago

There have been several posts about this evil weed. I have a major problem with it, too. I've read that regular mowing during the growing season, hand-pulling when possible, and regular, direct hits with RoundUp, or some other weed killer, is all that you can do for it. Even then, if your neighbors have it in their yards, it'll just creep right back into yours. I asked someone who has a lawncare business about getting rid of Florida Betony..he said I'd never be completely rid of it. And even getting it under control would take a few years.
    Sorry I couldn't offer more positive advice. We just noticed this stuff in our yard for the first time last Fall...seemed to come outta nowhere. And now it's everywhere.

• stevied
    18 years ago

Its tough. I have lots of it in my yard. I am resorting to hand-digging. I'll have to re-sod small areas of grass where I have dug it up to remove the Florida Betony. Multiple (at least 3) applications of atrazine or 2-4,D, have been partially effective for me in treating it. However, it is only partially effective.

I heard that quite a bit of Florida Betony seed was blown around by the Florida hurricanes last year.

• donnab_gardener
    15 years ago

I think this may be the same horrible weed Im dealing with in GA! The tubers attached to the weeds underground look something like a rattlesnake's rattle or my explanation of a big fat juicy grub worm. My children love finding the tubers but these weeds are driving me crazy. They are everywhere I dont want them to be! Where do I start in trying to control this? Hand pulling? Is this the best way?

• ugoatgirl
    15 years ago

I have them also. I was clearing out an old flowerbed several years ago, and first thought they WERE grubs. I have sprayed weed killer, dug them by hand, tried landscaping cloth and mulch. I still have plenty. I decided to just let them be pretty little green perennials. A funny sidenote. During the time I was fighting them, hubby and I were watching TAKE HOME CHEF on TLC and doggone if he didn't COOK THEM! Called them crosnes. (rhymes with groans) Bought them in the market and boiled for two minutes and sauteed those babies! Hey, times are tough. We may be eating them soon!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner