Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Controlled burn for loosestrife?

Posted by brainiacgirlstl MO (My Page) on
Tue, May 19, 09 at 23:25

I am at my absolute wits end.
We bought my mother's house 2 years ago. She was a gardener but back problems kept her from tending her garden for about 5 years so it basically went wild. There are some perennials still growing but the yard is gradually being swallowed by gooseneck loosestrife. I have tried literally everything to get rid of this. Roundup, mowing, boiling water, hand pulling, smothering, etc. The back yard is approximately 1/3 acre and the loosestrife is covering about 75% at this point.
I know that it spreads by runners underground which is probably why my efforts have been pretty much in vain.
County extention had no help to offer other than what I've already done, since this is not considered a noxious weed in my area. (It is basically an escaped ornamental.)
I am willing to sacrifice the good plants to start over without loosestrife. My question is, will a controlled burn kill underground runners or damage the plant to the point runners will eventually die?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Controlled burn for loosestrife?

Burning will kill the top growth but will not harm the roots at all unless you could find a way to hold the heat in the soil long enough for it to reach down where the roots are. That would be difficult since soil dissipates heat quite effectively.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here