Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Natural groundcover weed

Posted by Californian 10 (My Page) on
Mon, May 9, 05 at 23:27

I have some weed that looks like something people would actually spend money to buy growing all over my property as a ground cover. It is very low growing and prostrate, maybe two or three inches, has tiny shiny spade shaped leaves that grow in rosettes, and makes miniature four petaled square shaped salmon colored flowers, and the stems look like niniature vines. It can be mowed and from a distance looks pretty good so I let it grow and in fact encourage it. The only problem is it makes these little pea sized sticker ball seeds that get stuck in clothing and my cats hair. It can grow in sun or shade, but dries up in the sun eventually if not watered, but can go for a long time in the shade without water. From the description can anyone tell what it is?
I have another weed that is almost the same size but instead of salmon colored flowers it makes green flowers that sort of look like granules like clover flowers do. It makes thousands of seeds, if fact if I mow it the mower bag is full of the seeds. Any idea what that one is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Natural groundcover weed

Mistake, the little sticker balls are coming from some weed that grows on threadlike vines with tiny yellow flowers, not fron the ones with slightly thicker vines with salmon colored flowers. So I actually have three different knds of groundcovers that grow on very thin vinelike stems.

o

• Posted by MorZ8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, May 10, 05 at 18:28

This is likely one of them, maybe you can ID the others from this site too...

Here is a link that might be useful: burrs

o

MorZ8, thanks for the link. I went through all the weeds and think two of mine are California Burclover and Scarlet Pimpernel, also known as poormans weather glass as it can be used to predict rain by whether the flowers are open or closed. I still have one other that may be chickweed but the pictures don't show a plant that has gone to seed. BTW, one Scarlet Pimpernel plant can produce 12,000 seeds. Whatever this weed is I think it will completely take over my lawn soon, but I don't mind as I think it is better than grass as its prettier and I don't have to mow it or even water it.

o

Californian, I was going to suggest it might be scarlet pimpernel, as my mom has some growing in her yard this year, and she loves the look of it, as well. When you said it was 4-petalled, it threw me off the scent, though. :D

Enjoy that beauty!

Brenda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here