Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help me ID this weed please

Posted by thomasamiller Virginia (My Page) on
Tue, May 5, 09 at 23:39

Can somebody please ID this weed? The image is attached. It looks like "clover" to me, but I am not experienced with identifying weeds. I have already put down Lesco weed and feed, and it has not gotten rid of this. Each of these patches is about 2'x2'. HELP!! What weed is it, how do I kill it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of my weed - click here

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help me ID this weed please

It _is_ clover. Why do you want to get rid of it?

o

thanks for your help. it is covering a large part of my yard and I would rather have grass, and this clover is spreading everywhere. What do you advise?

o

I would enjoy the clover. Rabbits like clover and will eat it in place of your other plants.

Start by getting you lawn healthy. The healthy grass if you are unlucky will cause the areas of clover to shrink.

o

Clover often does well in poor soils since it fixes its own nitrogen being in the legume family. Grass is typically nitrogen hungry. What you have in clover is a great cover crop and great for the bees.

I just wonder why we don't love clover that does not ruin the water supply and the oceans with fertilizer and is cheap and green improving the soil while also having nice purple flowers(red clover) that feed the bumble bees that are an important pollinator.

If you must have grass you may likely need to improve your soil. However grass does not flower so consider feeding the bees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here