Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigoledude

We call it "Bloodweed"?

bigoledude
9 years ago

I hate (inadvertently) calling things by the wrong name. With our French, Spanish and Native American influence here in the extreme SE of Louisiana, many names for animals, fish, birds and plants have been corrupted to the point that hardly any locals know the correct names for them!

I have been trying to share with my 12 grandchildren the correct names for as many species that we have given alternate names to. I also wish for them to remember the colloquial names for these plants and animals because of the wonderful richness of our culture down here.

Sooo, we have here a weed that we've always called Bloodweed. It grows to well over 7 feet tall. It's leaves are larger than a large man's hand.

It has a pronounced main stalk and it is unusual in that this stalk is speckled/freckled with reddish-brown, small (smaller than a BB), bumpy spots all along it's length. The inner core of this speckled-n-bumpy stalk is a white, spongy, styrofoam-like, corky material. The plant also produces large bunches of small, dark-purple-to-black berries.

40 years ago the lot we built our home on was covered with many hundreds of these giant weeds. And, there are probably millions of them growing along our canal banks, edges-of-woods and in semi-cleared land.

I'm probably wrong but, I think they may be part of the ragweed family.

Comments (3)