Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lillian_seeds

Stickseed (Lappula)

lillian_seeds
13 years ago

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and I have a question. I live at 7000 feet in the desert and I have a terrible time with stickseed ( http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Lappula_squarrosa )

I have them by the ACRE and they seem to have grown up near and in areas where the soil has been disturbed. With two horses and also with many elk crossing the pastures, it seems impossible to stop the soil from being disturbed. I can't burn them as this is far too dangerous for wildfires..I can't spray them as the horses and dogs would get sick. I am trying to get rid of them by mowing them before they go to seed (it is June 26th and, for the most part, I have about 24 more hours before they will have gone to seed so the battle is nearly over for 2010).

Any ideas? I have mowed and mowed and am keeping my fingers crossed. I would like to get rid of them as A) they get stuck in the dogs' tails and hair and it takes HOURS to comb this out and B) if I don't stay on top of this they will multiply by the thousands.

Kind regards,

Lil

www.LilSeeds.com

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Blog!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County