Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Parsley-looking weed?

Posted by Hilary224 DC (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 1:22

I planted a bunch of herb seeds in my tiny urban backyard garden this spring, and I thought I was growing a whole bunch of parsley until I realized it's not parsley. I ate some of it - it doesn't taste like much, but it hasn't killed me yet, either. I have stopped eating it, though. The picture has a leaf of confirmed parsley on the left with whatever I'm growing on the right. The flower is from a neighboring plant. I haven't seen this weed in any other place in my neighborhood, so I don't know what it is, where it came from or how it's growing so fast! Help, anyone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Parsley-looking weed?

Well it definitely isn't parsley, nor is it any herb that I recognise. If it is growing fast and isn't what you want you need to weed it out. It is not a good idea to try eating anything that looks like parsley, unless you are certain, since one of the most toxic plants, poison hemlock, Conium maculatum, is similar.

o

Did you sow any celery seeds?

o

The one in the hand on the left is the confirmed parsley the OP refers to. The other leaves don't look like celery to me, Purple.

o

• Posted by kimpa z6b PA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 21:54

Could be ragweed

o

The Parsley, "Apiaceae", family is very wide spread, and includes Queen Annes Lace as well as the carrot. That leaf does not look anything like ragweed, however.

Here is a link that might be useful: Parsley family

o

This celery is growing from a stump I stuck in the ground after we ate "the good parts." The leaves are somewhat variable.

o

Another pic.

o

The OP's mystery plant has quite pointed leaflets and, although celery leaves are variable, I still don't think that is what this plant is. I'm actually not even sure it is Apiaceae at all. Some more pictures would be useful showing the stems, the whole plant and its habit.

o

I'm not married to my suggestion either. Just showing the evidence for my suggestion, which I know came from grocery store celery. Plants with variable basal leaves are very tricky. I'm up for a new pic, too, if Hilary is still tracking this mystery and has an interest in doing so.

FWIW, isn't celery heavily manipulated, put in the dark to make those long, naked stalks? I've never seen celery for sale as a seed crop (but haven't looked either, so wouldn't swear to that.) I don't think any home gardener can reproduce store-bought celery by just having celery plants outside, but would appreciate having this notion corrected if it's not how it works.

o

You can grow celery similar to store bought if you blanch it. Was the celery you grew from a stump from celeriac or celery?

I'm wondering if the original mystery weed is Bidens bipinnata.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bidens bipinnata

o

My stump was just regular celery.

That plant from your link is so similar. One definitely needs to know their plant before munching!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here