Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Round Up around / in vegetable garden

Posted by riverwalker76 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 1, 09 at 1:36

I have the worst type of grass where I planted my garden plot this year...... bermuda.

I was told that if I sprayed a 1 foot wide barrier around the garden that it would inhibit new growth inside the garden.

Is this safe to do? I already have my plants growing, and I would hate to have to start over because of a silly mistake.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Round Up around / in vegetable garden

If you are using round-up yes--but get a large piece of cardboard and hold it on the garden side so you don't spray your vegetables.

Round-up only kills what it lands on and is neutralized when it hits the ground. I spray it every year around my perennials to kill the quack grass using the cardboard. In fact I use the sign the builders put up on our lawn when we had our windows changed.

I've never lost a plant and plant my annuals after the grass dies. It will take a couple of weeks to work. What it does is actually grow the plant to death. Spray when you are going to have a couple of days of sunshine.

I'm not sure it will take care of your bermuda grass past the spray area but it will give it ground to grow in besides your garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here