Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimbotron

Non-Coiffed Lawn

Jimbotron
12 years ago

I have a large, rolling back yard. It's mostly clover, but with grass as well. I don't really want a super-coiffed lawn, that makes no sense to me. But a friend says I should at least have it seeded. Thoughts?

Note: I'm a complete moron on this stuff, so please talk down to me! :)

Comments (5)

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

What do you want to use that space for?
    Are you happy with what is there now?

• linda_schreiber
    12 years ago

My voice is with kimmsr.
    If it is ok-softish on bare feet, and does ok with being mowed, as clover and many other things will, why worry?

And "reseeding", if it is to has any long-term effect, takes a **lot** more work than just "spreading grass seeds" on the existing yard... All the other plants and grasses are already established. The new grass seeds have little chance of germinating and surviving without massive work.

Sounds like you have a comfortable and established, mow-manageable rolling lawn. Enjoy it, and let your friend manage his own lawn [grins].

LindaS

• Jimbotron
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think his point was that, over time, the clover would win and whatever grass there is would lose and it'd turn into a patchy, weed-choked dusty pollinating crust.

• linda_schreiber
    12 years ago

>patchy, weed-choked dusty pollinating crustBig guffahs! .... But not at you, sir.

Don't know where you are in the US. Or what your climate or soils are like. Those can make a big difference... But if you already have a lot of clover and some grasses, and undoubtedly a lot of other soft 'weeds', and they all are doing just fine, then you are in an area I can recognize.

As kimmsr said, "Are you happy with what is there now?"

As long as is it mowed fairly regularly, to inhibit larger weeds, the plants there have worked out a balance. Grasses and clover, and lots of other things, grow intermixed all the time. And continue to do so, happily, for decades.

No dusty. No crust. If the 'clover wins and the grass dies', it can't be patchy.... t'would be all clover. [grins].

Having the area "seeded" sounds simple and cheap, but it is not.

Perhaps if you explained to him that this is not a "lawn", but a "short-cut well-managed meadow"....
    Yeah, that would work [grins].

Let be. You're fine, sir.

LindaS

• Jimbotron
    Original Author
    12 years ago

-----
    You're fine, sir.
    -----

Why, thank you, madam.