Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snowman9000

Grasslike hard to kill weed in linked photo

snowman9000
11 years ago

What is the weed in the background of this photo?

It occurs near buildings and stone walls, and Roundup doesn't phase it. I emailed the U of I but thought I'd try here too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weed photo

Comments (11)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Maybe an Equisetum?

• snowman9000
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You are correct!
    I got a reply from the U of I, they said Field Horsetail, which is an equisetum. I'll have to search the interwebs for ideas on how to eradicate it.

11 years ago

This is a tricky plant, kinda looks like a baby tree, but not that hard to get rid of. The key is to get them pulled up before they make seeds. If you can stop the seed cycle, they'll go away. As far as weeds go, this is one of the more interesting ones. As soon as the seed pods are ripe, they POP, this is called explosive dehiscence. Touching plants with ripe seed pods can also cause them to explode.

So, once all of the seeds that have exploded from these plants have sprouted and been pulled, your battle will be won, although it can take a few weeks of vigilant pulling each spring for a few years. Now that you know what it is and looks like, you can be on top of things so you don't get another infestation.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

purpleinpop - are you referring to the Equisetum (which looks like little trees)? That reproduces by wind borne spores and rhizomes, not seeds. It is extremely hard to eradicate however much you pull it and is resistant to treatment with herbicides.

The weed in front of the Equisetum in the OP's photo is a Polygonum aka Smartweed and that does have seed which is distributed by explosive dehiscence.

11 years ago

Yes, they look like tiny trees to me, the ones in the back. Maybe they are not the same ones that I've dealt with that explode but they look just like that, and I was told on here (NTP) a few years ago they were an Equisetum. When you touch them, you can feel the seeds exploding everywhere. If they are up today I will take a pic, they are (usually) at my Mom's house.

I didn't know the Polygonum did that also. Fascinating stuff! Thanks for sharing.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

purpleinpop - I'm trying to puzzle out your answer. I feel that there is some confusion there somewhere. Equisetum doesn't form any seeds. It is an ancient plant form which produces cone like bodies which give off windborne microscopic spores. There are no seed pods or seeds.

The only plants I can think of which might look a little like Equisetum when in seed are Bittercresses, Cardamine sp., common anual weeds, which do shoot off seeds. Do you think that is what you had?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bittercress

11 years ago

I think you're right about which way I'm wrong! Couldn't find one today in her yard but doesn't seem necessary now (and I'm glad for her anyway.) I didn't realize trying to help her with her weeds that the top part and the bottom part were connected and thought I was pulling 2 types of plants. I must have taken a pic for NTP that didn't show the bottom part. You are the bomb, thanks for fixing this! You are one of the most helpful folks around here, appreciate your time.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Hi purpleinpop - I had to check whether being a 'bomb' was a good thing or bad in US speak. ;o)

Thanks.

11 years ago

Oh, yes. "Tha bomb" is a good thing, a compliment, equivalent to saying, "One who did a great thing" or, "Awesome!" Like, "You da man." (Or woman, as the case may be.) Spell check is appalled but sometimes colloquialisms are just fun.

• sheshe4928
    11 years ago

a friend has this growing in her garden, and cannot get rid of it....it is sticky and prickley. can anyone verify if it is catchweed bedstraw, and how do u get rid of it...

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

sheshe4928. It's better to start a new post for a new question or you risk not getting any answers if people think this is an old thread. Also we need a picture. There are instructions how to do it when you go to post a message.