Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you ID this weed?

Posted by janicej11 IL (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 07 at 9:39

Please help with the identification of this weed. It was
masquerading as a Cardinal flower (at least when it first sprouted).

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you ID this weed?

It looks like poke weed to me. Look at the pic below of an up close poke weed flower. Is that it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Poke weed

o

Enchanter's Nightshade, a native plant common in woodland edges. If you didn't plant it and you don't want it, its a weed.

Usually very easy to pull out with thick white roots.

Here is a link that might be useful: Enchanters Nightshade

o

I can't tell which one it is...Poke weed or the Wildflower, enchanters Nightshade. I'll take a closer pix for myself and see if I can identify or repost.
Thanks Peggy and Judy!

o

I took out a magnifying glass and tried to tell the difference between the two...but can't!! Both have tiny white flowers and dark green leaves. When I tugged to pull it out, the root is stem like. Can you tell me the difference between the 2?
If it's a Wildflower, maybe I should keep it to see how it does? Anyone have any experience with these?
Thanks.

o

Both Pokeweed and enchanters Nightshade can be considered wildflowers, however, it does NOT look like pokeweed to me. Pokeweed florets dangle from the stem rather than stand up above the stem as in your pic. And the flowers are much showier (longer and bigger). And there is usually a purplish or reddish color in the stem of the flowers.

jenny

o

Jenny,
You're right...the flowers on these plants are very tiny with 2 very microscopic antennae (forgot what they are called) coming out of each flower. The stems are green - no other color or hue.
The question is, should I leave them and think of them as wildflowers in the garden? I'd feel much better with that knowledge than thinking I'm nurturing weeds!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here