Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
awl51

Help! Knotweed knightmare of a different sort...

awl51
13 years ago

I have a potentially serious Japanese knotweed problem spread over almost 3/4 acre. It involves thousands of these invasive weeds. However, it's a bit different from most of the situations I have been able to research, and am hoping that someone has experience with a similar situation.

I've been working on my future retirement property every weekend for the last couple years; it's 3 hours away from my current house. House construction was last winter and rough landscaping this spring. On May 15 I finished spreading loam and grass seed over 3/4 of an acre. The lawn is coming up great, and so is something else. It turns out that the last 16 yards of loam contained a LOT of someone's knotweed root clippings. They are generally 1 to 4 inches in length, and typically 1/4 - 3/8 inch in diameter. They are in the top 3 inches of the soil and are sending out 1 to 3 small stems and leaves each. On close inspection I don't think these pieces have sent out many rhizomes yet. They are distributed randomly throughout the lawn, , and every week there is a stem coming up about every 5 square feet or so. I have dug up many hundreds of these so far, but there are more on the way, and the grass is almost ready for its first mowing.

Almost everything I have read about so far has dealt with attempts to eradicate mature and established knotweed growth, typically in a patch, and not with newly sprouting sprigs from widely distributed root pieces interspersed in a large lawn. Those treatments also tend to advise on eradication of large plants around the time that they flower, and typically involve glyphosate application at that time.

So, what should I do in my situation? I could wait it out til August and "hope" %^) that the knotweed grows really tall and flowers so that I can hit it with a herbicide....but this seems extremely risky, especially given the sheer number of pieces in the soil and fact that it's been detected early. Plus, the new lawn needs to be mowed, so leaving it alone doesn't seem like a very practical option.

Oh, and to the person who left their clippings in my loam... not a particularly wise thing to do.

Thanks - andy

Comments (7)

• noinwi
    13 years ago

This info for your area suggests constant mowing to weaken the rhizomes. I don't know if using a broadleaf weed killer would work since I think JK is a grass, but if you can weaken the rhizomes, maybe you can over time 'paint' glyphosate on the remaining emerging JK leaves so it will translocate to the rhizomes, and leave your lawn intact. You don't want to let it flower, but put out enough leaves for the herbicide to do it's work. Fall seems top be a good time to do this. Sorry you got someone else's headache...it's going to take time to get rid of it. HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: invasive weeds of Maine

• jean001
    13 years ago

Call everyone you know. Promise them beer and pizza. And have a work party. Now!

Also contact your regional Soil Conservation Service which is likely to help or, at the last, to advise.

• Kimmsr
    13 years ago

For many people the terms "loam" and "topsoil" are interchangeable when they should not be. Loam is a soil type, generally about 25 percent clay, 25 percent silt, 45 percent sand, and about 5 percent organic matter while "topsoil" is whatever was scraped off the top 4 to 6 inches of someplace, sometimes with organic matter added to make it look good.
    That you have Knotweed in that soil indicates the soil was simply scraped off someplace where Knotweed grows and getting rid of it is difficult. Anytime you see bits and pieces of root remove them and whenever you see even a bit of plant starting to grow remove that.

• green17
    13 years ago

First of all absolutely DO NOT let this plant grow tall and flower and have time to send its rhizomes to the center of the earth. With new shoots use Ortho Total Kill Lawn Weed Killer. It kills knotweed and many other weeds but does not kill your lawn. I've used it for the same purpose and it really works great. It actually lists knotweed in the list of weeds it kills. Wait until new shoots grow to about 3 or so inches tall with some leaf growth and then spray. The next day you will already see the knotweeed browning and curling over in its sure death. Also, be careful Ortho Total Kill comes in two varieties one that is safe for lawns and one that isnt. Look at Home Depot for the green bottle, not the blue one, if you do not want to kill your lawn. Also I would suggest buying the 32 oz. concentrate and making your own mix. Mix a tiny bit heavier to really feel the satisfaction of knocking this plant back to Japan from where it first came. Bye bye knotweed.

• petchie
    13 years ago

Battling the same issue here. It is not in the top 3 inches though, it is in the yards and yards of new fill put in behind a retaining wall to create a side yard.

I have been injecting some of them, and using a dandelion puller on some. Should I not be pulling and just cutting? It goes down really far, so digging it out will be hopeless.

Should I just let the shoots get 3 inches tall and spray? inject? paint? with full strength Roundup Concentrate? Or should I use the weed b gone max?

• awl51
    Original Author
    13 years ago

petchie - sorry to hear you are in the same boat as me.

I've been holding steady for the past few weeks with my knotweed problem. I'm still pulling out root clippings that have sent out shoots, although that's become harder to do each week. Mowing and bagging is next, with the grass clippings quarantined. Whatever is left after that I'll paint with herbicide in the fall, when it's most effective.

Besides some advice in this forum, I found some good information resources. For example:
    http://www.glifwc.org/invasives/Fallopia_spp/control.html
    http://www.co.clark.wa.us/weed/documents/2005-crockett.pdf
    http://www.uri.edu/cels/ceoc/documents/japaneseKnotweed.pdf (the references at the end of this one are particularly good, I think)

In the end, it seems like herbicide cocktails directly applied (painted or injected) have a pretty good chance of success. However, it may still be a multiple-year process.

Good luck.

-Andy

• HU-546663088
    3 years ago

You had better get to it quick smart, that stuff grows deep and spreads like wildfire. My neighbour planted it knowing what it was, and I have been battlng it for years. I complained to the City of Waterloo, they said because the neighbour knew what it was there was nothing that they would do. I have used Knock Out sucessfully but needs several treatments, the treatments must get back to the original plant to kill it properly. Let me know how you manage the problem

Paul

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals