Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weedy vine is driving me insane

Posted by ccwinslow 7A (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 10:59

Can anyone identify this vine? I've been able to keep it under control (sort of) until this year ... we're 5" above our normal rainfall, and these vines seem to grow right before my eyes. They're everywhere. The plant has dusky blue berries in late summer, and the vines are so delicate that it's almost impossible to pull them up by the roots without breaking them off. Thanks for any help you can give. (I'm in Piedmont NC, btw.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weedy vine is driving me insane

Compare to yellow passionflower, Passiflora lutea.
hortster

o

"Passiflora lutea" is what this looks like to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora lutea

o

Thank to you both! I've never seen flowers on it, prob because I yank up the vines as often as I find them. Research indicates these are actually considered desirable plants. Color me shocked. However, I'm tired of them smothering my shrubs in my front garden and will continue to pull them up.

Thanks again!

o

• Posted by kimpa z6b PA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 16:25

You could dig it up and move it to somewhere it could climb like a trellis.

o

As I have said many times a "weed" is a plant you do not want growing where you do not want it growing. Many of the plants we consider "weeds" are actually wildflowers and there is some research to indicate our bees need these "weeds" to exist. Several millions of dollars are being spent in research this summer to determine if mowing the "weedy" edges of fields is detrimental to the health of our pollinators.

o

Thanks, kimpa and kimmsr. It's popping up everywhere, unfortunately, thanks to birds I presume ... even deep in my shady back yard, along pathways, even twining around english ivy. It's like air potato, sweet violets and bamboo, all of which would like to take over my gardens. I'm tired of fighting this stuff! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here