Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rototiller

Posted by v1rtu0s1ty Zone 5a, Northern IL (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 19, 10 at 11:36

I just saw it from a post about 2 weeks ago. Can rototiller kill weed plants? I have a garden bed about 12ft x 18ft with weeds. I can't control the weeds that's growing there. I also have perennial plants there but weeds are more abundant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rototiller

Tilling soil has been one way to "kill" "weeds" for centuries and it can for a time do that. But tilling the soil also brings up new "weed" seeds that will grow and interfere with the more desireable plants you want to grow.

A better method of control is to apply mulch. If done properly mulches will aid in "weed" control, aid in soil moisture retention, Aid in controlling soil temperature, and eventually add needed organic matter to your soil.

o

Before the rototiller tilling was often done by hand with a hoe or other sharp instrument. If you have one use it to chop out the weeds if not a sharp butcher knife will work. After you have chopped them just below soil surface add the mulch Kimmser has suggested to keep them in control.

o

Got it! Perfect! It's the mulch that I was missing. :)

Thanks folks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here