Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenrose_gw

Creeping Charlie and Borax Solution

jenrose
13 years ago

Will Borax treatment of Creeping Charlie harm Spider Lily bulbs? I have Creeping Charlie growing up around the bottom of a tree and spreading into the lawn. I would like very much to eradicate the weed as it is spreading into the neighbors lawn, and his lawn is really pretty; he spends a lot of time out there, and I'd hate to neglect this problem. I love the plant, myself, and will take clippings to pot, but am planning to use a borax solution I found on another site (http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/h519borax.html) to eradicate Charlie without harming grass. However, I noticed last fall that around that same tree there are really cool Spider Lilies that pop up around it. The instructions for use recommend staying out of flower beds. I'd hate to lose those.

Additionally, the instructions recommend replacement planting to discourage regrowth of Charlie in that area (under tree - mostly sun, part shade). Any suggestions on something that wont choke bulbs or spread into lawn. I am in Eastern NC, zone 8, but very close to zone 7. Lots of clay.

The site that recommended Borax did not have option for questions. I am a novice gardener and will welcome any experienced input regarding either of these questions. Thanks.