Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
purslane

Posted by club_mario z7ny/LI (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 07 at 12:25

I am overrun by purslane in my vegatable garden. It first appeared about 2 summers ago and I am losing the battle.
Because it is my vegetable garden I will not use herbicides. I have been using a scuttle hoe to get rid of it but I worry that I am just "planting" more purslane seeds this way. Does anyone have any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: purslane

Purslane seems to magically appear overnight forming dense mats. I'm guessing you've got a fairly large area to deal with - and I'd be tempted to simply knock it out with the scuffle hoe; a warren hoe will also do it some damage. It's shallow rooted and comes up quite easily so you might be getting the bulk of it. But natrure seems to have an endless supply. Since the spot where mine appears isn't so large, I pull it out by hand. And I dispose of the pullings rather than allowing them to sit in a pile on the dirt.

o

purslane is the richest vegetable source of omega 3 fatty acids known to man, next to salmon. what's wrong with us? people pay big dollars for salmon, but use pesticide on this rare vegetable omega 3 source. that doesn't make good sense. it needs to be planted in contained areas and eaten.

o

Removal of every wee bit of Purslane is necessary because this plant will root from any wee bit of plant that contacts the soil. Purslane is spread far and wide by birds so even if today you clean up every bit those birds can well plant more tomorrow. A well mulched garden can aid in keeping this plant from growing where you don't want it, but it is a good food of we would only learn to eat it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here