Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
apple tree sprouts

Posted by laura_new_gardener Indiana (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 20, 06 at 12:30

We cut down an apple tree in our yard (2 yrs.ago) to make room for a flower bed, but now in the area that the large canopy of branches covered, I keep getting little apple tree sprouts, they are really persistent! They look like potato eye sprouts except they are dark red/purple. I think it must be the root system trying to make a comeback. The sprouts come up through the thick wood chip mulch and are everywhere. Is there a way to get rid of them? I try to pick them when I can, but I'm afraid they will take over if I let them be!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: apple tree sprouts

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 20, 06 at 23:06

You can continue to remove them every time you see them, and you will eventually starve the roots that remain in the ground. Overall, it's likely to take 2 or 3 yeears.

Or, you can cut off each new sprout, then imediately paint the cut surface of the stump with a systemic herbicide such as Roundup or Blackberry & Brush Killer. This method is likely to take a year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here