Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help identify weed

Posted by xsier West Texas (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 12 at 13:32

I hope someone can help. I have a lot of these weeds appearing in my yard and i'm looking for help in identifying it so i can begin to eradicate it. Thanks in advance. I'm in West Texas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help identify weed

It's Euphorbia maculata.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google image results

o

Thanks, that looks to be it.

o

Does this stuff give anyone a rash? Like poison ivy? I am ASKING, not TELLING. Please don't start an urban myth from reading this, just trying to figure out what's giving me a rash, 2 springs in a row, and this is one plant I didn't ask about but I didn't know it was a Euphorbia until I saw this post. None left in my yard to take a picture of.

I apologize for the hijack, xsier!

o

Yes, I call it spotted spurge up north here. The milky substance that exudes from the stems are an irritant. I had a lot of this before I refurbished my lawns and gardens. It thrives on hot, dry weather like we had the summer of 2005 when I was trying to seed my new lawn.

o

I live (born and raised) in NW Florida, and have a
weed called 'bedstraw'. I just read this post, and
that reminded me that I had a rash from pulling this
weed. Pulled it for many years and had no bad results,
until last year. Now it gives me a rash.
I only have poison Ivy when I go to Indiana. I
wonder if PO left some residual poison, that is
now affecting me when I pull other things. As soon
as I come inside I use the rubbing alcohol on my arms.
Since this weed pulls easily, I have started putting on rubber gloves, to pull.

o

Nona, sensitivity to dermatitis-inducing plants can be transient, or develop over time, or subside. My neighbor says this year, for the first time ever (in 34 years) he can't pick figs, giving him an awful rash.

Regarding PI, I don't think urishiol remains potent outside for long, but away from the weather, many sources say it can still pose a threat after a year, on a shovel, jacket, etc...

Mysteries like these are no fun!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here