Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help with this weed

Posted by Carol1958 none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 13:44

Last year these weeds started showing up. I sprayed them, but they don't seem to be affected by weed killer until they reach maturity. I've tried saturating the ground and pulling them out from the roots, but they just keep coming back and when they do, there is more and more of them. They have choked my garden and I am losing more and more of my plants.
Please help identify these and help me to get rid of these.

Thanks
Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help with this weed

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 19:19

That looks to me like one of the fireweed aka willowherb - epilobium.

Maybe try digging rather than pulling, you may be leaving some perennial roots in the ground. Also, if it looks like above photo, you've waited too long to deadhead, those fluffy little bits are the seeds and its just about impossible to weed out the plants without dispersing the seeds at this point. Never let a plant you want to remove go to seed, you defeat your purpose.

Work a bit harder at the roots, weed any seedlings out much earlier. If its set seed a year or two, you're going to be finding the seedling for a few seasons but they aren't hard to control if you give them your attention earlier.

I don't know what herbicide you tried but there's no reason it should not be effective before flowers and seeds have formed - but easily recognizable, you can control it manually by paying attention in Spring....you never want to let it go until you see the fluffy bits, my heart sinks if I ever find them, almost have to take a bag into the garden to carry out the weeded plant without sowing the seed as I'm leaving....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here