Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

Please ID theses plants?

chueh
11 years ago

Thank you advance for ID the following weeds/bushes/plants.

This bush looks like a sumac, but I am not sure if it is the kind that is poisonous. This past early spring, it bore yellow clusters, which looked like consist of tiny flower buds bunched together. Then, I never see them really become flowers (well, I was out of town for 2 weeks in mid Spring. Perhaps I missed the bloom)

{{gwi:254170}}

This is the detail of the bush:

{{gwi:254171}}

I have a lot of the following seedlings (picture Weed E). Are they the seedlings of the previous sumac like bush?

{{gwi:254172}}

I also have a lot of the weed below (picture Weed A). They are ground level, spreading their limbs like spiders, growing like sun burst shape:

{{gwi:254175}}

The Weed/Bush B looks like a burning bush. I do have ONE burning bush, but these Weed/Bush Bs are not adjacent to it. They are scattered all over and around within 40 feet.

{{gwi:254176}}

Weed C below has round leaves, whose veins are clear, even, and straight.

{{gwi:254177}}

Weed F, the same as Weed C?

{{gwi:254179}}

Plant D is in my vegetable bed. What kind of vegetable is this? I don't think I plant any vege like that, but I do have wild daisy nearby the vege bed. This plant D does look like the wild daisy I have around, but I am not sure. If it is some kind of vege, then I will eat it, hahaha:

{{gwi:254181}}

Comments (9)

• wwwonderwhiskers

The sumac like bush in earlier photos - when you crush a stem, does it stink like garlic / green / skunk?
    It looks a lot like a non-native invasive that was introduced here in the northern VA area (I've been told) couple of decades ago, and now is considered an invasive. They call it "Tree of Heaven". One thing I remember is that when the main trunk is cut, the tree sends a signal to it's roots to "send up shoots and reproduce". Recommended eradication methode is to cut the plant, then hand-paint with brush killer. When they get large, they will poison the soil well around it for anything else to grow.

I have a hundred of the nasty things on my 3 acres, and hate them. This is my first year in the new construction, and they are continually sprouting everywhere from all the ones that were here before. good luck.

• wwwonderwhiskers

The sumac like bush in earlier photos - when you crush a stem, does it stink like garlic / green / skunk?
    It looks a lot like a non-native invasive that was introduced here in the northern VA area (I've been told) couple of decades ago, and now is considered an invasive. They call it "Tree of Heaven". One thing I remember is that when the main trunk is cut, the tree sends a signal to it's roots to "send up shoots and reproduce". Recommended eradication methode is to cut the plant, then hand-paint with brush killer. When they get large, they will poison the soil well around it for anything else to grow.

I have a hundred of the nasty things on my 3 acres, and hate them. This is my first year in the new construction, and they are continually sprouting everywhere from all the ones that were here before. good luck.

• wwwonderwhiskers

• budbackeast
    11 years ago

The first one is indeed Sumac, but not to be confused with Poison Sumac, a cousin of Poison Ivy. This sumac is a good plant unless you just want it gone. When it flowers, people in the Middle East take the flowers once they turn bright red, dry them, then pulverize the stuff into a dark purple spice they call Simik. Arabs put it on meat and Persians put it in rice dishes. Great stuff! Has a strangely yummy sourness. (Not sure if yours is the variety used, but it would work)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sumac as spice

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I don't know what the 3rd one (weed A) is, but it has no redeeming qualities that I can determine, and if left alone will make a wide, thick patch. I don't let those grow.

• bookjunky4life
    11 years ago

Is Weed A pursane?

11 years ago

I now think it might be Euphorbia maculata. (Weed A)

Check out a post of what looks the same to me & my bifocals.

• bookjunky4life
    11 years ago

purple - you might be right, purslane seems like it has a thicker juicier leaf while the Euphorbia maculata seems to have a thinner leaf. I've been pulling lots of purslane so I might have it on the brain:)

11 years ago

Might C be a vetch? F pic is a little fuzzy to decide if it's the same thing.