Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobby_c

Couple of plant ID please....

bobby_c
16 years ago

Trying to clean out my garden and I believe I have a few weeds, but if anyone can help me ID I would really appreciate it.

The first is growing where I used to have a butterfly bush. At first I thought it was that bush but now I don't think so. I is low and bushy and is spreading in all directions rapidly. It has berries - green at first then goes to purple and/or red. Here's a picture of a bunch along with the stem:

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:481929}}

Comments (13)

• bobby_c
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's plant # 2. A low growing plant, seems pretty tough, any ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• bobby_c
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Now plant #3. This one is low to the ground and spreading all over. Not sure if it is was a planted variety or invasive. Little blue flowers:

• bobby_c
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This one is tall - at least 4' right now. Don't remember seeing it last year.

• albertar
    16 years ago

Bobby
    I don't come to this forum often but I can tell you the first picture is what I call the vine from hell. I don't know the real name for it, but thats what I call it. RIP IT OUT IF YOU CAN.
    Number 2 I don't think is a weed, Number 3 is a ground cover used frequently, and can be very invasive, again, I don't know the name of it.
    Number 4...if you find out what that is, please let me know, cause I've got it all over too and I'm not sure if its a weed or something I planted.
    Alberta

• maifleur01
    16 years ago

Number 4 is one of the goldenrods. If cut back will give an even more impressive display of flowers and butterflies this fall.

By cutting back this late you delay some of the flowering so if you live in the northern state you might just want to leave it alone.

Number one is one of the nightshades.

• tyrlych
    16 years ago

#1 is Solanum dulcamara, bittersweet nightshade.
    #4 Solidago (goldenrod), as suggested by maifleur.
    #3 -- post closer picture please.

• bobby_c
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all - great input, despite my faulty numbering system. I'll try to get a closer picture of a couple....

:) Bob

• kimpa zone 9b N. Florida.
    16 years ago

#2 looks like a pulmonaria to me and #3 looks like dwarf plumbago.

• bobby_c
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kimpa - looks like you made the right call. I'm especially confident about the Dwarf Plumbago - after looking at pictures on the web it sure does look similar. I took a closer picture of the plant w/ flowers:

• bobby_c
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Regarding #2 - it could very well be Pulmonaria, but I don't remember planting it. I thought it was a weed but now I'll let it go. There seems to be a lot of different varieties so I wasn't as certain with the ID after looking at pictures, but I do recall blue flowers last month. It is also spreading. While green, it has a silvery sheen to it and the leaves are pretty tough and rigid - something I'd wear gloves to remove. I'll post 2 photos:

• bobby_c
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's another shot of the plant - showing a couple of shoots coming up. So the plant is spreading and seems quite hardy.....

• kimpa zone 9b N. Florida.
    16 years ago

Pulmonarias like part to full shade, like most hostas. It looks like a hosta leaf in your first picture...I like pulmonarias as I have lots of pt. shade. Wish mine were spreading!

• bobby_c
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Funny thing is this garden (on a slope in my front yard) used to be a shade garden - a large tree (mullberry) shaded it effectively. A couple of years ago that tree came down so now its mostly sun. I had planted a bunch of shade loving plants there - things like hostas, ferns, etc. Now those plants have exploded in size, though I have to be careful in making sure things are well watered. These pulmonarias are spreading pretty quickly now, on some level I have to keep an eye on them so they don't invade other spots so much.

Thanks for input!
    Bob

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm