Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good weeding habits for a organic garden

Posted by GWlolo 9b/ Sunset 15 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 14:22

We just redid landscaping and we want to keep it chemical free. I would like to get some advice on how to stay on top of weeds. We have perennial borders, vegetable beds, fruit plantings (berries etc.) and annuals.

How often should one weed an area to keep on top of weeds?

What kind of mulch? We do have leaf drop and I want to be able to use a leaf blower and not blow away the mulch.

What tools make weeding easy? Can I weed standing up with any tool?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good weeding habits for a organic garden

I scan my yard almost every day. Sometimes several times a day because I enjoy it. They say 10 minutes a day is better than 70 minutes in one session because you can get to problems before they get too big.

I like shredded leaf mulches because they are free and fallen leaves don't stand out.

I use a dandelion digger or a shovel for large weeds. I disturb the soil as little as possible so not to stir up more weed seeds.

o

A good mulch can help with unwanted plant (weed) growth.
How often to "weed" depends on many things and no one can tell you how often you need to "weed". Some people are out every day while others find once a week or two works for them.
The best tool for removing "weeds" is your fingers. If you need a tool of some kind you have waited too long to remove the "weed".

o

It sounds silly but the answer to 'how often' is 'as often as possible'. As kimmsr says, regular patrolling and removing the odd seedling as soon as you spot it will save a lot of time and effort in the long run. Weeding is an integral part of gardening and some of us quite enjoy it. It is very relaxing just sitting or kneeling in the garden weeding and musing. It is also a way of getting to know your plants intimately and recognise them in all the growth stages. Anyone who weeds regularly soon stops pulling up desirables by mistake. Weeding is also an opportunity to spot pests before they become a problem.

o

I hate weeding too. Letting weeds grow until you have "weeding to do" is just plain mean to yourself - be nicer! While you're enjoying your yard and flowers, pluck weed sprouts as they are spotted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here