Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alicemagooey

garden weed

alicemagooey
14 years ago

Hello.. i just found something in a friends garden and i cannot figure out what it is.. all i know is that it looks closely akin to cannibis ( please do not ask me how i know what cannabis looks like.. i am an old fogey who used to use cannabis but have not in 40 years)

..the leaves of the plant i am trying to identify are longish (4-5 inches)and double toothed,

They are situated on a thick, square stem in what seems to me to be approximately the same locations and density as a cannabis plant.

The leaves are pointed also, not spatulate or round..

although it does have a square , thick stem, i do not think it is in the mint or nepeta family.

There is no 'minty' or aromatic smell to the plant leaves.

i can go back and analyse the plant more.. i only pulled off one leaf and identified it as being double toothed..

and then i rubbed my eyes, ( smart, aren;t i ?) and got really itchy and red eyes..yech.

can someone help me identify this garden intruder.

thanks

alice

Comments (7)

• hortster
    14 years ago

Possibly American Bugleweed (Lycopus americanus). See the link below.
    hortster

Here is a link that might be useful:

• alicemagooey
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you horster..no i do not think it is bugleweed.

when you look at it from above, the leaves seem to all grow from a whorl in the top..

i made a mental note of how it looks on the stem..
    ( which of course, i have mostly forgotten. )
    there are no flowers yet at the base of the leaves.

i think i do remember seeing little buds.

hmm.. to tell the truth, i do not know WHAT the doggone thing is.. and i do not usually ask a question at gardenweb unless i do a LOT of looking on my own through weed books, and etc etc online..

i just could not locate it.

i may just give up ..

thank you for your kind response, however.

alice

• hortster
    14 years ago

You have my gardener's (and Gardenweb's) curiousity. Any hope of a digital picture? Always a way to zero in...
    thanks, hortster

• alicemagooey
    Original Author
    14 years ago

unfortunately,i do not have a digital camera..(sigh),or i probably would have tried to post a photo.. all i have is an ancient polaroid camera..which will not do the trick.At least not here.

if i find out what it is, i will complete the thread by telling y'all

thanks again,
    alice

• vroomp
    14 years ago

A polaroid picture may be scanned into your computer and stored for free at photobucket.com to post.

• carol23_gw
    14 years ago

Perhaps an Urtica of some type.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• alicemagooey
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks , Carol.. i think Urtica is in the nettle group, correct? This plant does not sting, and the teeth are not quite so toothed.. but thank you so much for posting and helping..
    doggone..i just cannot figure it out.. but you know, it really does not matter..
    From what i can ascertain, it is not particularly edible, nor medicinal..so OUT IT GOES.

thanks again to all.
    alice