Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterclem

Does anyone recognize this weed?

butterclem
15 years ago

Hi, I've attached two pictures of this weed from my Photoshop account. I just planted this perennial bed last year. I bought the house the year before, and there was nothing in this spot (visibly) but a lawn and a gym set. I took pictures of just one specimen, but actually have two. I was about to just pull them out (having foolishly thought they would proclaim themselves geraniums for a couple of weeks) when I thought it would be smart to check here first.

Here is a link that might be useful: weed

Comments (6)

• pieheart
    15 years ago

It looks a bit like ragweed.

• butterclem
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I agree it does look a bit like ragweed, but ragweed's leaf terminals are much more pointed. That's the closest fit, though, I agree. And maybe it's a variant. I'm digging both up today! Neither my dog nor I need ragweed around.

• tyrlych
    15 years ago

This is Geranium. Bruise the leaf and smell it.

• butterclem
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It has no smell whatsoever! But I can't believe I didn't try that test till you mentioned it. The three varieties of geranium I grow all have the distinct smell we all associate with perennial geraniums. But whatever this is, it is virtually smell-free.

• dbs_illinois_4
    15 years ago

I agree with tyrlych. I have something that pops up in my garden that looks like it. Really small, light pinkish flowers? I think it came with a "wildflower" seed mix I used before I knew better. It doesn't match any of the Cranesbills (Geraniums) in my Peterson's Field Guide, so I have no idea which particular species, but I'm pretty sure mine is an annual. It comes up easily, anyway.

• dbs_illinois_4
    15 years ago

Just came acroos this, it's what mine looks like, anyway. When I googled G. dissectum most of the flowers were darker and a little bigger, but that's not unusual I suppose. Also NOT native to US, just widely naturalized (probably from those stupid "wildflower" mixes, like I got it from). Annual or biennial.

Here is a link that might be useful: Further on down on the forum-Is this a weed?

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH