Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone recognize this weed?

Posted by butterclem z6 W.PA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 08 at 15:16

Hi, I've attached two pictures of this weed from my Photoshop account. I just planted this perennial bed last year. I bought the house the year before, and there was nothing in this spot (visibly) but a lawn and a gym set. I took pictures of just one specimen, but actually have two. I was about to just pull them out (having foolishly thought they would proclaim themselves geraniums for a couple of weeks) when I thought it would be smart to check here first.

Here is a link that might be useful: weed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone recognize this weed?

It looks a bit like ragweed.

o

I agree it does look a bit like ragweed, but ragweed's leaf terminals are much more pointed. That's the closest fit, though, I agree. And maybe it's a variant. I'm digging both up today! Neither my dog nor I need ragweed around.

o

This is Geranium. Bruise the leaf and smell it.

o

It has no smell whatsoever! But I can't believe I didn't try that test till you mentioned it. The three varieties of geranium I grow all have the distinct smell we all associate with perennial geraniums. But whatever this is, it is virtually smell-free.

o

I agree with tyrlych. I have something that pops up in my garden that looks like it. Really small, light pinkish flowers? I think it came with a "wildflower" seed mix I used before I knew better. It doesn't match any of the Cranesbills (Geraniums) in my Peterson's Field Guide, so I have no idea which particular species, but I'm pretty sure mine is an annual. It comes up easily, anyway.

o
Hey, I think I found mine, anyway!

Just came acroos this, it's what mine looks like, anyway. When I googled G. dissectum most of the flowers were darker and a little bigger, but that's not unusual I suppose. Also NOT native to US, just widely naturalized (probably from those stupid "wildflower" mixes, like I got it from). Annual or biennial.

Here is a link that might be useful: Further on down on the forum-Is this a weed?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here