Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tall Weed in Illinois

Posted by bookjunky4life 5 Central IL (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 19, 12 at 15:46

I don't have a picture currently but can get one if need be. Looking for name suggestions for tall weeds that would be growing in central/southern Illinois. They can get 5 or 6 feet tall and pull up pretty easily considering their size. No discernable berries or flowers (or maybe I just pull them all before they get that far) and grow very fast. The base can get several inches thick but the stem will break off easily if you don't pull far enough down toward the roots. Its not giant ragweed (although I have tons of that) and not pokeweed but pokeweed is the most similar thing I have found so far. I need names so I can search for pictures. I haven't seen it in any of the databases I have looked at so far. It is also not cockelbur (have lots of that as well). I know we have problems with something they call "water hemp" around here in the fields but that doesn't look even close to right either.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tall Weed in Illinois

Solidago, Eupatorium, come readily to mind, taller, free-seeding late bloomers.

o

Definitely not golden rod. Or Joe Pye Weed but I wish it was! I've tried wintersowing that for two years with no luck.

o

Look up Horseweed, Conyza canadensis and Pilewort, Erechtites hieracifolia.

http://www.missouriplants.com/Whitealt/Erechtites_hieracifolia_page.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Canadese_fijnstraal_plant_Conyza_canadensis.jpg

o

Or just post an image or two

o

This one is about 3 feet tall.

o

a smaller one still in the ground.

o

At times there is purplish coloration but not most of the time.

o

Also, I pulled about hundreds of them out of about 120 feet of green beans last night. I somewhat enjoy weeding but I do have other things that need doing:)

o

Compare your plant to Amaranthus viridus, Slender Amaranth.

o

Showed my FIL this weed last night and he says water hemp and some it might be pig weed. There seem to be two very similar plants. One is only a medium green like the first picture while the others have a lot of purple like the second picture. I just haven't found a photo of pig weed yet that 100% convinces me that the purple stuff is pigweed. Perhaps water hemp can have the different colorations?

o

Definately Amaranth. Known by the moniker 'Red Root' around here. We also have Spiny Redroot, which looks almost the same, but has a nice sharp spine hiding underneath the leaf to remind you it doesn't want to be pulled.

o

Water Hemp and Pig Weed are both members of the Amaranth family of plants. Some people around here grow them as a cover/green manure crop.

o

I was unable to tend to my garden for two summers. Of course it was overcome with weeds and I spent a whole summer getting it back to where it was manageable. I found that where pigweed had taken over, it had so improved the hard clay soil that it made a huge difference in the structure of the soil and now several years later the difference can still be seen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here