Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drippy_gw

Do tyvek suits work for PI pulling? (long post)

drippy
13 years ago

I have just moved to a new property that backs up to a creek. Along my back fence, I definitely have poison ivy, and maybe the triple whammy of poison oak & sumac, too. One pine tree in the back has a huge PI vine climbing it. I know I can't pull that vine, but I'm afraid to even cut it. I successfully pulled some small amounts out of garden beds the other day by covering my arms with ivy block, using rubber gloves, then washing shoes with alcohol, tools & gloves with bleach spray, and clothes (carefully removed) directly into washing machine.

Still, I've had significant enough cases in the past that I am thinking of using a tyvek suit to clear brush in the back, possibly with one of those dust masks over my nose & mouth. There's a lot of other overgrown brush there (honeysuckle mainly), and the brush guy I talked to was looking at $600 to clear and apply Roundup (he insisted I had to apply Roundup all along the fence). I am thinking that if I can get the main part of this cleared, I can control it (not eliminate, I'm sure) with diligence in the future. I think I would use a systemic killer like Roundup on the one big vine, but I don't want to poison the ground the entire length of my fence.

My main question - have any of you cleared with tyvek suits? Will it protect me? I don't want to wind up in the hospital.

Thanks in advance,

Kim

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living