Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richardonthego

Weed Block: Gravel vs Mulch

richardonthego
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting and as a new home owner, I'm excited to be a regular!

We have an area on the side of our house that we don't want to grow anything in. It had weeds, but we have hand-pulled them out, roots and all. Now, we don't want anything growing back.

I originally was going to put weed block fabric and gravel over the area, but read that mulch is much better. However, it seems that mulch is only better if you want to grow something. Is that true?

We intend to only use this area as a walkway and don't want to have to maintain anything. The idea of gravel is appealing, but let me know if this is not the right thing to do!

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

Richard

Comments (7)

• Kimmsr
    13 years ago

Even with "weed block" and gravel you could see new "weeds" growing in that area. If this is going to be a pathway then some kind of stone, comfortable to walk on, would be a better choice but keep in mind that as time passes and dust and organic matter accumulate in the crevices between the stones "weed" seeds will also accumulate and will germinate and grow.

• greenhaven
    13 years ago

I agree with kimmsr. I have an old gravel mulch bed that has accumulated a ridiculous amount of organic matter (was that way even before we moved in) and it is a pin in the rearend now, to clean out all the gravel.

If you DO decide to go with gravel using a THICK hard plastic barrier will make any future maintenance/removal MUCH easier.

• totsuka
    13 years ago

I use mulch and white vinegar.

• jean001
    13 years ago

Concrete works.

• tootseug
    13 years ago

I have gravel. I am finding it terribly frustrating with all of the "grass" roots underneath that continuously sprout up more grass. Unfortunately this year, it went to seed. I pulled what I could out. Then watered regularily so as to make the seeds sprout this summer, then started spraying. I have been using Roundup. But it only works on the post emergent weeds/grass. I'm wondering what I could use to get the seeds. My goal is to try and decrease the amount of sproutings in the spring. HELP.

• tootseug
    10 years ago

White vinegar? How do I do that? Now years later from my original post, I still have the same problem? Maybe mulch over the gravel, and how thick? And then where does the white vinegar come in??
    Thanks

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

Vinegar, Acetic Acid, will kill plants when sprayed on them. I have seen instructions that say to dilute the Vinegar with water but that is not necessary, and which Vinegar (that meant to be put on a salad or pickling) can make a difference since 3 to 5 percent Acetic Acid is not nearly as good as 20 percent Acetic Acid.
    However, the Vinegar kills only top growth so the plants roots could send up new growth that will need to be sprayed again.
    There is nothing that will prevent Mother Nature from trying to grow plants where there are none since she feels bare ground is not good.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH