Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this weed please??

Posted by cholmes28 GA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 18:21

I have this weed sprouting up in both barren and full spots of my bermuda lawn. Anyone know what it is, and how to control it? See attachment.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this weed please??

Looks like Prostrate spurge.....

o

It's a little too upright and tightly formed to be Euphorbia maculata. Compare to Phyllanthus. If that is what it is, it makes seed balls on the back of each leaf (though these plants don't look mature enough to do that yet.) If not pulled, (or killed in some other way, before the seeds drop,) the cycle will continue with more plants next year. Weeds this short are hard to thwart by mowing. They do pull up easily but just in the small area of your pic, there are probably at least 100 plants. How much area do you have with this stuff? The good news is that pulling it this year should mean there's hardy any of it next year.

Looks like part of your lawn might be in too much shade to grow well?

o

Yes, the part where these are growing, is under a jap maple, and there is a bit too much shade for the bermuda to grow well. Here is another photo from farther away. I have been pulling them, but there is so much that I was hoping for something I can spray or put down, which will get rid of it. The entire lawn is treated for pre/post emergent, but I am wondering if I need to complain to the company who applied the treatments. Should the pre/post emergents have taken care of this??

o

Last question is way out of my area, I don't do chemicals, but somebody should know.

That would be a lot of pulling. Looks like a good spot for a new mulched area to me, probably wouldn't need a smother layer of paper or cardboard to kill the already struggling grass and Phyllanthus, add Hydrangeas, Azaleas, Hostas, shade entities, but that may not be your style. Taking the lowest limbs off of the tree might be an option if you'd prefer grass. Maybe get a bunch of paver bricks and make a patio area? Not sure what would work in the big pic, just ideas for thought...

o

Spurge - evil stuff!

o

If you see 'little balls' on the back of the leaves, it's Phyllanthus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here