Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
killing dallisgrass

Posted by callagain z7 TX (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 25, 06 at 18:30

I have large areas of solid Dallisgrass in my yard. We have started removing each individual clump by hand but is an incredibly slow process, even with my handy weed popper.

So for my next non-chemical plan of attack I want to lay down black plastic and once this perennial evilweed is dead, I'll till it in and reseed the area.

Has anyone does this proceedure specifically on Dallisgrass? How long do I need to keep the area covered? Will this also kill the seeds or will I have to treat the area prior to covering with corn gluten meal?

Cheers,
Allison

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: killing dallisgrass

Corn gluten meal MAY reduce reproduction by seed by a maxiumum of 50%. For a plant as tough as dalligrass, the percentage is probably much lower.
Are you SURE you don't want to use a glyphosate and kill it effectively and quickly? Glyphosates do NOT stay in the soil. They quickly break down into harmless chemical elements.
I can't imagine putting black plastic on a lawn for several weeks. But that is an aesthetic decision.
BTW, you didn't say what your turf grass is.

o

Just curious about a couple of things - 1. did you try a method to rid your lawn of the dallisgrass? 2. if so, did it work and what did you try?

I also have a huge dallisgrass problem and don't know how to deal with it. Pulling it by hand is just so overwhelming. Will the Glyphosates harm the tree it's near and/or my kiddos? How long does it stick around? Our turf grass is Bermuda.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks, Lara

o

Glyphosate will not affect the trees in the area since once it hits soil it is completely inactivated as a herbicide. To act herbicidally, it must be applied to green plant tissue. It will not affect seeds in the soil. If used as directed it will not present any risk to people and the product will eventually be broken down completely by microorganisms in the soil. How long this takes is dependent on soil moisture and temperature, with half lives varying from a few weeks to months in temperate climates.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here