Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this invasive weed?

Posted by hentag (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 23, 12 at 18:51

Please help me identify this weed that has taken over my back yard and half of my weedy front yard. Just to give you a background of my yard, I have not fertilized or watered my weedy yard in about 2 years. Front yard is overtaken by sandburs. I'm in Dallas, Texas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this invasive weed?

Another pic of the weed.

o

I have attempted to use Ortho Brush B Gone for posion ivy and vines as well as Roundup. This is what some spots of the weed look like now. My neighbor put down some kind of salt and was told to use salt on it.

o

Salt will make the soil uninhabitable for any plant, weedkiller is the better way to go. I don't recognize your weed, sorry.

o

Jeanne, thanks for responding. I've seen as least 3-4 weeds that looks close like it. I'll continue using the weed killer on it.

o

Looks like Horseherb to me- considered a ground cover. I have it too. Some people love it while others hate it. I used to hate it and tried to get rid of it without success. Now, it's taken over under my huge oak trees where my grass would not grow and I've come to accept it as an alternative to grass.

To refresh it, mow off the tops and they will replenish with nice green foliage and pretty little yellow flowers.

Here is a pic of mine- is that what you have?
Horseherb

o

beacivil1, your leaves look a lot larger, however it does look like it.

You couldn't get rid of it? Don't think my neighbor will like the sound of that. She is so sure that it spread from my yard. I was out earlier today spraying Round-up and Ortho Brush B Gone. I'll do some research on horseherb later today.

Thanks

o

beacivil1, after looking up horseherb pictures on the Internet, I believe you're right. What I have looks a lot like horseherb.

Thank you again for helping me identify this groundcover.

o

My pleasure. I do hope you have more success in removal than I did. Like I said before, I've just accepted it as a grass alternative, and, compared to the St. Augustine grass that used to grow under the trees, it really holds it own without having to water.

WARNING!! - if you mow it down at any time, do not then continue to mow over your other grass without cleaning your lawnmower first. I firmly believe that I transplanted some of the horseherb into other areas of my lawn this way.

Bryan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here