Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunny_5000

Are they weeds or flowers?

sunny_5000
14 years ago

I have a few weeds and some could be flowers and I would really like to know the difference. Number 1 and 2 of my pictures are the same plant and they are very difficult to get rid of. They grow in the lawn as well as in the flower garden and I really don't know how they got there. Number 5 is strange because it only grew in one area. If they were weeds I would think that they would be everywhere but it does look like a weed to me. If anyone knows what they are or any of them please let me know. I will certainly appreciate it. The pictures can be viewed:

http://cid-f5d836632af6e0d4.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/weeds

Here is a link that might be useful: Windows live page weeds

Comments (8)

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

A weed is a plant that is growing where you do not want it. Most of what you show are flowers. It depends on you if they are weeds. I do not recognize #5 but think it is used by butterflies.

It is always best if you save any flower seed packages so you will know what you planted. Rain or other things may move the seed/plant but you can do a search to find out how what you planted looks like.

• sunny_5000
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If they are flowers then what are they called? I am just about positive that the first 2 pictures show a weed. It can grow on the lawn and when I try to kill it, it has the longest roots and can't be killed.

• anniegal
    14 years ago

#3 appears to be wild violet. Some love it, some hate it. I have a neighbor who has a huge bed filled with it. I don't mind them, but usually pull them b/c they're never where I want them.

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

The first picture kind of looks like some Purslane starting to grow there, the second looks kind of like a Toad Lily and the third kind of like a Mallow. Whether what you have are "weeds" or not depends since as maifleur said a "weed" is a plant you do not want growing where you do not want it growing.
    To help keep these potentially unwanted plants from growing more cover that bare soil with a good mulch. The reason many of these unwanted plants grow in bare soils is because Ma Nature does not want her soil left exposed to the ravages of the sun, wind, and rain.

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

Picture one looked to me like violas or campulia, toad lily, and marigolds. I was hoping the OP knew at least what the marigold was. Not to put the OP down but 30 minutes with a common gardening book showing pictures of flowers is time well worth it.

I have cleaned out the first year plants of several perinials when they did not have the foliage I expected. Most gardeners if the live long enough will do something similar.

• sunny_5000
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you to everyone who has tried to help me. I guess I did not explain the pictures well enough. I was wondering if they were weeds or some kind of flower. The picture that I am trying to show in 1 and 2 is of a perennial that grows in the lawn as well. I tried to center it and also put out 2 pictures to try to make it clearer. I have no idea where any of these came from. Most years I have planted bulbs and marigolds. This year I was too tired and only planted some dahlia bulbs and marigolds. I do have some perennials. The pictures that I have posted are all plants that I pull every year. The first and second picture are of a plant possibly a toad lily from the responses but it has a root that I cannot kill. It is so long and I would wonder why a toad lily would be growing in my garden and in the grass in the first place. I will try to let some of them grow longer to see what they do. Once again, thank you everyone for trying to help me figure out what they are.

• carol23_gw
    14 years ago

Where is the location?
    The bold foliage in the first photo could be Veratrum viride or another Veratrum. The foliage itself is quite nice, to me, and I would let it grow until flowering to have a positive ID.

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

As maifleur tried to tell you whether these are "weeds" or flowers depends on whether or not these are plants growing where you want them to grow or if they are plants you do not want growing where you do not want them. In one instance they are flowers while in the other they are "weeds".
    I have rugosa roses growing in places that I do not want the to grow so those roses are "weeds", but I also have Goldenod growing near those spots and they are not "weeds" even though they have self seeded there.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm