Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help identify this weed please - smells minty...

Posted by jojomojo 6b/7a ELEV 5600 ft (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 19:54

This "weed" (still trying to figure out if its useful for something!) pops up all over the place. It smells minty, but the stem looks round to me. It leaves a bit of a sticky residue on my hands after pulling too. I haven't seen it flower yet, and can't remember last summer what it looked like.

Any ideas?

photo P6231148.jpg

photo P6231147.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help identify this weed please - smells minty...

Can you post a picture of the living plant?

o

• Posted by jojomojo 6b/7a ELEV 5600 ft (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 23:00

Sure, I'll get a shot of it tomorrow.

o

Where in the United States are you? North Carolina, Colorado, California?
Elevation tells us little as does the USDA Plant Hardiness Zone since both can cover a wide range of growing conditions and soil types. Some plants that will grow quite well in Virginia will not grow in New Mexico.

o

Sorry, I have my zone & elevation in there automatically because I mostly visit the veggie garden forums.

I'm in NW New Mexico.

o

Looks somewhat like Thyme. In my garden the Thyme I planted in the herb garden has migrated up closer to the house and grows quite well with the Sedum and Asters. It is a member of the mint family so can smell kind of minty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thyme

o

Here's a pic of it growing. Its kind of hard to see because of all of our other weeds. I noticed some growing and kind of spreading out over a sidewalk, so if this isn't clear enough, I can get another picture.

photo P6261165.jpg

Also, if anyone knows what this is, I'd love to know. It grows everywhere, and gets HUGE (5-6' tall). It pulls up easy and I usually toss it to the chickens.

photo P6261166.jpg

o

kimmsr - thanks for the thyme suggestion. That would be quite handy if it is. Before declaring war on "weeds" I'm trying to figure out if its useful. Thyme would be great to add to nesting material in the chicken coop.

I've been looking at pictures of thyme and have only found one picture that looked the same. I'm going to run with it though. If anybody knows what type of thyme it is, or has any other ideas I'd love to hear it.

o

It's horseweed.

o

The last photo looks like tarragon.

This post was edited by susanzone5 on Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 10:54

o

The small ones look like penny royal does it have flowers. Obnoxious weed

o

• Posted by jojomojo USDA 7a / Sunset 3a (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 23:05

river_city - I agree with horseweed. Just after posting that I came across it looking up something else.

tammymay - pennyroyal was one I was considering for the minty weed. I think it is flowering, I'll have to go out and snap a pic tomorrow.

o

• Posted by jojomojo USDA 7a / Sunset 3a (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 11:26

Here is a picture of the minty plants buds...

photo 9bd9ea80-86f8-46ab-af55-55553e85a271.jpg

o

The flowers look like something in the Artemisia genus.

o

Just wanted to update - I was browsing a plant site and saw this picture and immediately thought of this thread!

The info does say it is similar to Artemisia. I didn't find anything about the smell of mint, which is odd because the smell is very strong to me.

http://www.fs.fed.us/psw/publications/beyers/psw_2010_beyers015(montalvo)ivaaxillaris.pdf

http://www.malag.aes.oregonstate.edu/wildflowers/species.php/id-1059

Some common names... povertyweed, deathweed, devil's-weed, poverty sumpweed, bozzleweed, salt sage, etc. Potentially poisonous to livestock. Lovely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here