Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
could someone identify my climbing parasite?

Posted by KarlAndCherisse z6 Boston, Mass. (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 19, 05 at 20:40

Hello, we have a climbing-vine weed that has long been a terror in our yard. It is such a nuissance that I figured there must be so many people with it that it would be easy to find. Yet we have been as yet unable to identify it. It doesn't match any of the climbing nightshades, bindweeds, strangleweeds, dodders, or anything else we've found. It has a very simple, heart-shaped dark green leaf and the tip of the vine sometimes sports tiny purple star-shaped flowers (of which I was unable to get a good photo, but the flowers are no bigger than 1/4 inch across).

Anyway, this weed grows near the base of shrubs, lilacs, other woody plants and bushes and twines itself around the branches, and eventually kills (or seriously emaciates) its host, depending on how large and robust the shrub is.

Image link: could someone identify my climbing parasite? (39 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: could someone identify my climbing parasite?

It looks like Strangling Dog Vine to me -- a real pest.

Joanne

o
RE: could someone identify my climbing parasite?

Thanks, Joanne! With that name we were able to do some more searching, for those interested... it is also known as "pale swallow-wort".
www.swallow-wort.com

Karl and Cherisse

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here