Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't figure out this weed

Posted by rlp2955 OH (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 15, 11 at 20:47

We have a tree in our backyard that every year has these plant like weeds that grow in the mulch and the surrounding area. I am including a link to a pic I took tonight. I would obviously like to figure out what this is and how I get rid of it. Please help!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to weed photo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't figure out this weed

You didn't mention what kind of tree these grow around, but they look very much like root-sprouts from the tree itself. A number of trees will do this.

Compare the leaves of the 'weeds' to the leaves of the tree. They may not look exactly the same, but are they very similar in the details?

If so, there isn't a lot you can do to 'fix' this. But the mulch circle you have around the tree is very small. You could dig down some in this small area, put down heavy plastic, and then mulch this small circle more heavily. Won't interfere with your tree's growth because the area is so small. The roots involved in uptake will be beyond this circle.

The other ones, in the area that is being mowed anyways, just ignore them. Mow them down as you mow the grass.

Linda

o

We aren't sure exactly what kind of tree it is but my wife thinks it's a pear tree. How do root sprouts grown? Is this from something dropping off the leaves or something to do with the tree roots?

o

They are sort of like suckers from a lilac; cut them off just under the ground. New ones will probably keep coming, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: about root sprouts

o

The tree roots just keep developing new above-ground 'sprouts'. Happens with a number of ornamental trees, especially ornamental fruit trees.

In the morning, compare the leaves. If possible, send a photo of the tree's leaves. I really think you are dealing with root sprouts here, not weeds.

If they were weeds, they would be in other areas of the yard as well. If they only keep recurring under and around this tree.... Then, yep.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here