Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What species of weedy grass is this?

Posted by plantingman 6b (SC KS climate) (samnsarah620@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Jun 10, 12 at 21:04

I have a BUNCH of this grass in my backyard. (see photos below) It is not crabgrass or silver crabgrass. I thought it may be barnyard grass, but the seed heads are totaly different than those of barnyard grass. I think it may be some sort of rye grass, but I don't know for sure. Does anyone else know what species of grass this is?
P.S. Photos from Photobucket look a lot better in posts than those from Flickr.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here are the roots and underside of the plant:
Photobucket

And here is one of the seed heads:
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What species of weedy grass is this?

That could be either Annual Ryegrass or Annual Bluegrass.

o

Thanks, kimmsr. Now that I was able to narrow my search I googled "Annual Bluegrass" and that is exactly what it is. Now I need to figure out if it is a desirable grass or just more weeds and how to get rid of it if it is a weed. (I wonder if Haltz will prevent it from sprouting again next year?)

o

These annuals are considered by many to be "weeds" and they usually die out shortly so nothing, other than removal, is needed to be done.

o

Well, I'm trying to establish Bermuda grass in my back yard, but the annual bluegrass has taken over so they have to go. I sprayed round up last night. after they have died I will rake them up and then plant the Bermuda sprigs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here