Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what weed is this and how to remove?

Posted by wantboost gta (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 21:57

What's the best chemical to use

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what weed is this and how to remove?

Creeping Buttercup.

o

Yes - Ranunculus repens.

o

If you live in Ontario you may not have access to most all of the common "weed" controls.
If not Ontario look at a garden center for sprays that control Ranunculus.

o

I am in ontario so what option do I have

o

I am in ontario so what option do I have

o

Smother or dig.

o

a daisy grubber will lift each clump - they will lift easily, having many short white roots. You will have to follow the creeping stems and get each clump which has rooted where it hits the soil....but it is a strangely satisfying process and can be done while kneeling down (always a plus in my book).

o

Weed b gone says it works??

o

People living in Ontario, Canada cannot buy that product, legally.

o

The have ecosense weed b gone sold at stores here....???

o

Ranunculus repens' leaves and flowers are edible. However, the leaves must be boiled first and, flowers can be pickled after boiling.

The flower of Ranunculus repens has been used in a child's game for centuries. If you hold the opened yellow flower under someone's chin, the yellow reflection onto the skin was supposed to indicate that person's love of butter!

Scientists are currently studying this crazy phenomenon. No other flower that I know of will reproduce this effect. It's one reason there is never a shortage of pollinators to Ranunculus repens. It's light-reflecting capability draws bees in like they're being reeled-in on a string!

o

My daughter and I planted our very first veggie garden two weeks ago. Within 3 or 4 days we had sprouts! We were so excited....until we figured out that they are weeds. Now the whole garden is full of little sprouting things but I don't know for sure if they're weeds or veggies. What to do? I've thought of just waiting awhile until I know if it's a "good guy or a bad guy" OR just planting starter plants so I KNOW what it is! Any advice?? Thanks

o

Val65- This is OT (and really should be in it's own post) but if you want to see what the vegetables you planted look like as seedlings, plant a few seeds into a small container filled with potting mix. There will be no weed seeds in the potting mix to cause confusion. Anything that doesn't match your container seedlings in the garden are weeds and should be pulled.

Rodney

o

This article appeared in the Toronto Star, I believe, about 4 years ago (2010). The writer apparently had good results, others did not. The active ingredient in this stuff is Iron and a little too much Iron is known to kill many plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: About EcoSense

o

is this the strong stuff available in the usa or this eco too. how to tell the difference by looking at ingredients?

http://www.lowes.ca/grass-weed-killer/ortho-killex-weed-be-gone-pull-n-spray_11553253.html

o

anyone?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here